|A Brief History of the Building in which the Riverside History & Nature Learning is Located
The Learning Center is housed in the old Franklin School building, which was built in 1892. In 1942 the school board opted to close the site to eliminate the $2,000 a year operating expense. The housing shortage for returning veterans led to the city of New Ulm leasing the building in 1945 and converting the two large classrooms into two 3 room apartments. In 1977 the city of New Ulm renovated the building to create arts and crafts classrooms during the winter and a playground shelter in the summer. Between the end of its housing role and 1977 it served as a temporary home for a number of groups, including boy scouts and the Civil Air Patrol. In 2004 Scott Sparlin, director of CCMR (Coalition for a Clean Minnesota River) took over the building to use a portion as CCMR headquarters. In 2010 Ron Bolduan took space Scott made available to establish a river history and nature site. The facility went under the name, Regional River History and Information Center until 2015 when the name changed to Riverside History & Nature Learning Center, to better reflect the goal of hands-on teaching experiences.
|Building History||Goosetown History||Credits & Recognition||Mission||Programs|
|Skull Presentation||Photos at the Center||External Links|
last updated 12-31-2015 by Bold Initiatives